Residential Adaptation Assistance Program - Société d'habitation du Québec


Fil d'ariane

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program

The Residential Adaptation Assistance Program ensures that people with a disability are able to enter and exit their home, perform their daily routines, and therefore continue to reside in their own home.

The program applies to people with a permanent disability.

This program provides financial support for the following adaptation work.


All people with disabilities whose limitations affect their everyday activities are eligible for assistance, provided:

Other conditions may apply.

The eligibility of a person with a disability is determined by the occupational therapist assigned to the case.

Available assistance

The financial assistance is remitted to the owner of the residential unit and the amount depends on several criteria, including household income of the person with a disability and whether that person requires the installation of specialized equipment.

It is highly likely that the grant will not cover the total cost of the work and that the owner will have to pay the difference.

Financial assistance may be as much as $16,000 per eligible person. In certain specific cases determined by the Société d’habitation du Québec, an additional amount of up to $7,000 may be paid.

In cases where specialized equipment is required, additional assistance not exceeding $10,000 may also be paid, based on criteria determined by the Société d’habitation du Québec.

Admissible work

The admissible work is determined by the municipal partner based on the terms of the program and the recommendations made by the occupational therapist. This work must meet the needs of the person with a disability.

Work is admissible if:

  • It modifies and adapts the residence of the person with a disability so that person can enter and exit the unit, access essential rooms (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room) without assistance and perform all essential daily routines;
  • It constitutes a simple, functional, low-cost solution;
  • It is permanent in nature.


  • Installation of an outside access ramp
  • Remodelling of a bathroom
  • Widening of door frames

Work performed before authorization is granted by the municipality, regional county municipality or the Société d’habitation du Québec will not receive financial assistance.

Waiting time and processing of applications

The Société d’habitation du Québec has entrusted municipalities and regional county municipalities (RCMs) with responsibility for managing the Program. The health and social services network is also involved in the production of occupational therapists’ reports.

There is generally a waiting period before a case is taken on by an occupational therapist and the municipal partner. This period may vary between regions.

Cases are processed in several stages spread over several months.

Moving and construction of a home

If a person with a disability is considering moving, any application to the program should be delayed until the person is settled into the new home.

In the case of construction of a home, work admissible under the program is limited. The owner must plan to design the building to ensure accessibility.

Program applications


  1. You should obtain a copy of the Program registration form from your local community services centre (CLSC) or from the Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ). Once completed, the form should be sent to the SHQ, along with the necessary supporting documents.

    If you are a tenant, you must first obtain your landlord’s permission for the work to be carried out in your dwelling. The landlord, as the building’s owner, must also complete part of the application form.
  2. The SHQ then forwards your application to your municipality or regional county municipality (RCM) and to the health institution responsible for producing the occupational therapist’s report.
  3. A representative from the municipality or RCM will visit your home and draw up a list of admissible work, based on the occupational therapist’s recommendations.
  4. The homeowner must obtain one or more bids from contractors holding the appropriate licences from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.
  5. The owner must await authorization from the municipality, RCM or SHQ before having the work performed. (Failure to comply with this requirement shall automatically disqualify the work for a grant.)
  6. The homeowner will receive the financial assistance once the work has been completed and the municipality or RCM has checked to ensure that it has been carried out as agreed.

For further information

Contact your municipality or RCM Cet hyperlien s'ouvrira dans une nouvelle fenêtre., your local CLSC or the Société d'habitation du Québec.